Monday, May 26, 2008

Mosquitos


             Mosquitoes are insects which make up the family Culicidae. They have a pair of scaled wings , a pair of halteres, a slender body, and long legs. The females of most mosquito species suck blood from other animals, which has made them the most deadly disease vectors known to man, killing millions of people over thousands of years and continuing to kill millions per year by the spread of diseases. (Wikipedia)
            You already know what they are, and I'm sure you've all felt the familiar sting of these pests living in Iowa. It's now becoming that time of year, puddles and mud become home to millions of mosquito larvae. I live in a wooded area and it's getting out of control. I'll open the door and within a few seconds a cloud of them will be swarming in front of my face. Anytime I want to go outside i have to cover myself in bug spray. I've never been a fan of the greasy feeling and usually go without it only to be bitten alive, I'm just hoping they become extinct in my lifetime. 

No comments: