Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lupe Fiasco


I'm sure your no stranger to all of the hip-hop that's taken over the radio. You can't escape it. Many people despise it. I don't mind it for awhile, but after hearing the same thing over and over again for more than a few songs I get tired of it. I'll listen to it on occasion, but there's only so much to be rhymed about cars, girls, money, and booze. 
A couple years ago a hip-hop song came out called, "kick push". About the life of a skateboarder. It was one of Lupe Fiasco's first unconventional songs to gain attention. I downloaded a few more of his songs and started listening to him some more. His stuff was a little different than most rappers. He didn't write about drugs or hoes. His lack of "street cred" has probably kept most of his songs out of the top of the charts, but he doesn't seem to care.
I bought his newest CD, "the cool". It's got some good stuff on it. Some of these songs I've even started to hear on the radio. Like Hip-Hop Saved My Life, and Dumb It Down. These songs along with some songs from his last CD "Food and Liquor" like the track Daydreamin' have started to gain popularity. In Dumb it Down he clearly bashes the rap industry for it's ways, and talks about how he's not going to dumb down his music to be popular. People have slowly started to agree with him and get into his music. You should listen to some of his stuff for yourself if your into rap.

1 comment:

pink panther said...

Lupe!! that's were its at