Monday, March 24, 2008

Pogs

I was cleaning out the bottom of my closet the other day when I stumbled on a shoebox from a while back. I opened it up and started looking through a stash of elementary school memorabilia. When I came across a few token shaped pieces of cardboard I was immediately brought back to 3rd grade. Those pieces of cardboard were Pogs. A short lived trend of the 90's. 
Pogs were used to play a game between two people. You would stack fifteen of these cardboard circles on the floor between two players. Each player then takes a turn throwing a "slammer pog", usually thicker and made of metal or plastic, on top of the pile to knock as many pogs off onto their opposite sides. You got to keep the pogs that flipped over while the ones the didn't flip over were stacked back up for the next player. The person with the most pogs at the end of the game wins.
I didn't play the game a lot but I do remember collecting the things. I had pogs from my favorite tv shows, pogs with athletes faces on them, and pogs with peace signs and ying-yangs. My favorite was a metal slammer pog, shaped like a table saw blade. I thought it was pretty hardcore. I'm sure a lot of you guys remember the game and some of you probably still have your pogs, but I'm willing to bet my red power ranger pog that I would beat you.

1 comment:

Reid said...

You're not cool and stop harassing me about that dollar

The Comeback Kid