Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shoplifting

Today in class we did an activity where we wrote about the topic we had chosen for our research projects on a sheet of paper. We left the paper in our seats then rotated around leaving comments and questions on other people's papers to help generate ideas. I gained a few things that I could explore on my topic. Some questions people brought up on my topic of shoplifting were

-What stores have the most shoplifters?
-What goes on in a kleptomaniacs brain?
-What are the penalties for shoplifting?
-What measures do stores take to prevent shoplifting?
-Why would a celebrity ever shoplift?

A lot of the comments people left were about how they thought it was a pretty interesting topic and they all seemed to have about the same amount of background knowledge about it. I learned that shoplifting is a major cause of inflation in the country. The most common suggestion I received was to research what types of people shoplift, and what goes on in their brains that makes them feel compelled to steal. Some interesting facts brought up were that maybe the habit of stealing is passed down heretically, and that it's a mental thing.
My paper will be about why people feel compelled to steal mentally, how they go about doing it physically, what the stores do to prevent/punish for it, and I'd like to find a few interesting stories about certain shoplifting incidents to use also.

No comments: